Ian is a corporate and commercial lawyer with wide experience of mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance, joint ventures and collaborations, reorganisations, and general company and commercial work in a number of different sectors.
Ian is also fluent in Japanese and has a good knowledge of, and extensive contacts in, the Japanese market.
Ian read law and Japanese at the University of Leeds and Kobe Gakuin University, Japan, before training as a solicitor at Denton Hall (now SNR Denton) in London. He joined Herbert Smith as a solicitor in 2001.
Ian is a Solicitor and Director in Star Legal responsible for corporate and commercial work.
Legal experience includes:
- Numerous business and share acquisitions in a variety of different sectors
- Restructurings and reorganisations, including de-mergers, buybacks and capital reductions
- Establishment of joint ventures and R&D collaborations
- Sale and leasebacks and lease in lease out finance transactions
- Refinancing transactions
- Establishment of Investment Schemes and regulatory requirements
- Drafting and negotiation of a wide variety of commercial agreements, including supply and framework agreements, distribution and agency agreements
- Advising on and establishment of partnerships and LLPs and shareholder arrangements
- Compliance and regulatory advice
- General company, commercial and contract advice
Sector experience includes:
- Building supplies and materials
- Financial products and wealth management
- Travel and leisure
- Electrical and audio equipment
- Poultry and eggs
- Agriculture and energy
- Media and IT